Thursday, January 12, 2012

Week 6, 7 and 8

Well got a little lazy over the holidays and with the first week getting back to work.  So I haven't updated the blog in a good while.  I will spare you the details of every run over the last three weeks but will try and just do an update of how the week went and starting next week i'll try and get a little better about updating weekly.

Week 6
This was the week of Christmas.  I was able to get 5 good runs in and totaled 26 miles for the week.  Had planned on getting a 6th run done on Christmas day but ended up eating blueberry muffins instead.  I had a good long run of 8 miles around Salem Lake, ran consistent miles in the 8:20 and finished with a 7:40 final mile.  Never really felt to labored which was great.

Week 7
It was nice this week because we were off of work but I was also heading to Boston on Friday so wanted to make sure I got some good runs in up there so that I wasn't having to cram in miles while I traveled.  Since I was going to be in Boston I went ahead and did my long run on that Wed and got in my best long run yet.  9 miles at 8:04 pace including a 7:14 last mile.  Ended up getting 29 miles for the week after a nice 4 miler in Boston with Ian so doing good increasing the weekly mileage.

Week 8
Back to the grind.  This was my first week back to work and having to get back in to a routine again.  I ended up with 30 miles for the week, some good some bad.  I did my first kind of faster run which consisted of a 2 mile fitness test more then a tempo run.  I wasn't sure what to expect since most of my runs have been just regular runs and my original goal was to be around 7 min pace.  Well ended up running it in 13:13, 6:38 first mile, 6:35 2nd mile.  Was a bit labored towards the end but overall happy with that time.  Plan is now to incorporate at least one workout a week for the next 7 weeks or so before I start getting into the actual marathon training plan portion of schedule.  Also did my first double digit long run which just plain sucked all around.  I got leg cramps about 5 miles in so had to keep stopping and stretching plus got lost.  There was a race at Salem Lake, which is my usual long run spot, so I tried to run the roads and quickly learned I don't know Winston very well.  Pace wasn't to bad at 8:22 and I got done which is all that matters.  Unfortunately woke up with some pain in my hip that caused me to take Sunday off (as well as Mon-Wed of this week but more about that in next weeks episode).

Fundraising update:
Thanks to everyone who donated so far I have reached my Team in Training Goal of $2,900.  I'm sitting right now at exactly $2,900 raised.  It's amazing that it only took two months to hit that goal and can't thank everybody enough who has donated, shared my link and blog on facebook and twitter or e-mailed out my link.  The power of social media is amazing and pretty much all the money that has been donated has been bc of it so thank you Mark Zuckerburg for inventing Facebook. HA.  But I don't want to stop trying to raise money now that i've hit my TIT goal so i've set a new personal goal of $4,000.  Between now and June I would love to be able to raise another $1,100 to get to $4,000 so please pass along the link to my page to anyone that you might know.  If you want me to craft and  e-mail or letter just let me know and I would be happy to do that.

Link to my page:  http://pages.teamintraining.org/nc/rnr12/brandonhillisformybro

Well that is the update.  I'm looking forward to watching the US Olympic Marathon Trials on Saturday and hopefully it will be a motivator for me as I start to get into the meat and potatoes of my training.  Also signed up for the NYC Marathon lottery.  This will be my 3rd try at getting in, so hopefully this is the magical time.  While that would be an expensive weekend, it is def on my bucket list and from what everybody tells me it's an amazing experience so keep your fingers crossed for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment